Tips for locking in the perfect rental property
By Robin Turner
As a large property management agency, we are often asked for tips on securing a rental property.
As demand for properties starts to heat up towards Christmas and into the New Year, it is important to know what property managers look for when assessing applications so that you’re ready to put in the very best application.
Attend the inspection and ensure you chat to the property manager to introduce yourself and find out when the property is available and any other key details (such as whether pets are allowed)
- When attending inspections, be on time and present yourself well. Of course property managers respect that you may be on your way home from work or relaxing on the weekend, but remember that first impressions count and property managers do need to quickly assess suitability for the property
- Submit your application promptly – popular properties will let quickly and get that rental application through to the agency with 24 hours. It’s not uncommon to receive applications overnight from a property which was shown later the previous day
- Make sure your application contains all the required information and check the phone numbers for references are current and correct. Delays in reference checking may make it hard to process your application quickly.
- If you are accepted for a property, promptly deposit your bond and requested rental amount. That way, the keys will be your sooner and you’ll be setting up to make the property your home.
- If this is the first time you’ll be renting and you can’t offer rental references, ensure that you have some personal references and work references who can offer an insight into your reliability and financial position. If you’re young, take a family member to the open inspection so they can get a feel for the property and give you a second opinion on whether the property is right for you.
View Turner Real Estate's current rentals
Back to Ask Robin's main page